Friday, December 01, 2006

There has been a slight delay in getting this post up, as I have been out in the mountains scouting out my field site. I now have a place to stay (a hut at the back of the village store), and a mode of transport - a Honda 70cc motorbike, truly the workhorse of the Dominican Republic campo! Anthropologists take note - George is now entering the participant observation phase, and truly living the life of a campesino. There are a few things that I need to sort out; a mechanic is giving it a look over, and I need to pimp my ride Dominican style. This means that in addition to the "christ is coming" I have on the front, I need to pop into a botanica (voodoo supplies shop) and buy some stickers of La Virgin de la Altagracia, a few St Christophers (patron saint of travellers), some don't-break-down spray, and a tube of go-faster ointment. The Honda 70 has a power output of about the equivalent of a hairdryer, but that doesn't stop it from being an essential part of rural life.

Looking at the license documents and ownership papers, there are few interesting sub-clauses, here reproduced;

- All journeys that are longer than 20 yards must be taken on a motorcycle. If you own a motorcycle, it is undignified to use your feet for anything other than the gear shift and the brake.
- Your horn must be used on the following occasions; approaching a junction, overtaking, undertaking, when there are children/chickens/any other detritus in the road, when passing a vaguely attractive female, when people are trying to get to sleep, all other times. The horn is more important for your safety and wellbeing than your brakes - it is used more and should be serviced more regularly.
-In the interests of public wellbeing, your engine should be tuned so that it is as loud and high pitched as possible. Please visit a mechanic if it is not harming the navigation abilities of all bats in a 20 mile radius.
-If possible, avoid making any journeys alone that can't be made with your wife, three children, a propane tank, two chickens, a live goat and a sack of rice on the back.
-When not making journeys, you and your motorcycle should be parked outside the colmado, revving your engine and showing the world you are a man with a bike.



I notice that I have offended people (Chirimoya and friends) with my comments about Dominican cooking and cuisine. I stand by my comments, and invite them to prove me wrong, by having me round and cooking me a great dinner. Over to you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, not offended, just surprised that you'd got such a bad impression of Dominican food. I'm not a great Dominican cook myself, but I know someone who is.

When in Constanza, try cepa de apio. A prince among tubers.